|There are 17 large, and one medium scale industries
in the district, of which, two are Central Government undertakings.
- Indian Rare Earths, Chavara
- Parvathi Mills Ltd., Kollam.
- Kerala Ceramics Ltd., Kundara,
- Travancore Plywood Industries, Punalur,
- Kerala Electrical and Allied Engineering Company, Kundara,
Premo Pipe factory Chavara,
- Kerala Minerals and Metals Limited,
- United Electrical Industries Kollam
- Kerala Agro-Fruit
are Kerala Government owned companies.
|Other major industries in private / cooperative sector are
Industries Ltd., Kundara,
- Thomas Stephen & Co., Kollam, Floorco
- Cooperative Spinning Mill, Chathannur and
- Punalur Paper
About 1963 SSI units have been registered in the
CASHEW, COIR, CLAY, WOOD, HANDLOOM
Cashew processing and coir production are
also major industrial vocations of the district.
Handloom industry, clay and wood based industries also contribute to
the industrial advancement of the region.
Cashew processing is a major industrial activity in the district.
The Kerala State Cashew Development Corporation (KSCDC) is the
largest processor of cashewnut in the world. At present, it has 34
factories. K.S.C.D.C. provides employment to more than 26,000